Friday, December 22, 2006

Today is my last official day at Self, and although I know I’ll be back (hopefully either freelancing in the art dept. or as an editorial assistant – I have my fingers crossed) I’m sad. This morning art-production-photo (well, those who are still here the Friday before XMAS XMAS) threw me a little breakfast party w/ bagels, fruit and drinks. AND, as Shira would note, FLAGELS – flat bagels from supposedly the best bakery in New York, which is just a block from her apartment in Queens. They were good, but I prefer a good ol’ fashioned bagel. Especially if it’s covered in garlic, seeds and everything else that makes my breath stink.

Even though I occasionally complained about the internship here – almost exclusively about not having enough to do – I’ve been so incredibly lucky to start here. Actually, it’s a bit like starting a fancy dinner with dessert. When the first thing you put in your mouth is a delectable bite of chocolate mousse, the starter salad just isn’t going to be that good. The staff here is so friendly and people cooperate (gasp!). Beauty is friends with fitness is friends with production is friends with PR is friends w/ interns. People wear jeans to work (although they’re usually very cute and designer) and laugh out loud with each other. It’s an overall great environment, and I’m afraid I’ve been spoiled by it. How would I survive in a snooty Devil-Wears-Prada office? (Sorry, I vowed not to use that movie as a metaphor for the real magazine industry, but it’s so convenient.)

I’ve learned a lot here. I watched and listened to the dramas unfold – a cover getting switched at the last minute because it didn’t do well in an audience test; an important photo shoot getting moved from Mexico to LA because of a hurricane; another important photo shoot losing power after the earthquake in Hawaii. I’ve eavesdropped on the back-and-forth negotiations and arguments for cutting x number of pages because not enough ad space was sold. I paid attention to what the art director liked and didn’t like about layouts and tried to keep those in mind while designing a few pages myself. Overall, it’s been a great experience – I can’t think of a better place to have started.

I’m really going to miss it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home