Monday, January 08, 2007

As no one in New York can resist talking about weather ALL THE TIME, why should I be left out of the forecaster fun?

On Saturday, after eating breakfast burritos with leftover avocado-mango salsa, Eric and I headed to Soho to enjoy the record-breaking weather. We walked around and did a little arts and crafts shopping in the 72 degree sun, both of us wearing t-shirts. (tangent: I finally discovered a cheap, somewhat-skeezy fabric store between Chinatown and Soho, right next to Pearl Paint! It puts Eugene’s low-budget Factory Fabrics to shame.)

Every shaggy-haired NYU student, 60-year-old hippie and chess hustler descended upon Washington Square. A unicycle-riding entertainer swallowed swords; four guitarists and a flautist played an impromptu rendition of the Beatles’ “Something in the Way She Moves;” and a dozen tiny dogs chased each other in a New York-sized “dog park” (a fenced-in patch of dirt no bigger than my living room). And as no visit to Washington Square would be complete without it, a tall dude in sunglasses offered to sell us weed, coke — or anything we wanted. It was wonderful.

The next day I mostly enjoyed the sun from my couch, in my PJs, watching football and sewing. But around 4, Eric and I walked through Central Park and played with his new digicam, a Christmas present from his parents. We took artsy fartsy photos of streetlamps and skylines. We got to the reservoir at nightfall. Although I liked to run there when we lived on the Upper East Side, I’d never been there at night. The reflections of the lit-up, majestic buildings were gorgeous – worthy of artsy fartsy pictures, even.

Before we went to bed, it started to pour and hasn’t stopped since. This morning, as I was walking to work early for Pilates, the top of my 99 Cent Store umbrella popped off — no warning, not even any wind to give it a good reason. I managed to stick the top back on but had to throw it away before getting on the subway. I hope it stays dry on my walk home. I don’t think there are any 99 Cent Stores with high-quality umbrellas on the way home, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home