Friday, January 19, 2007

Since I got to leave my temp receptionist job early last night, I made it to the gym in time for this Indian dance-workout class I’d never heard of. It was super hard but ridiculously fun. At the end, the instructor kept speeding up the music and we’d run through the routine faster and faster and faster. My shoulders and thighs were so sore afterwards!

As I was walking to the subway afterwards, I got a message from Self’s fitness director saying that they’d hired someone else for the editorial assistant job. She said that I’d done the best edit test but they hired someone with more fitness background. Awesome. Especially awesome because I’d just left the gym.

When I got home I decided to soak my soreness and disappointment in a hot bath, but I was hungry, too. The only snack with easy access was a mostly empty bag of Lay’s, so I brought them in with me. As I munched potato chips in the bath, I realized how pathetic and ridiculous I must look, and I couldn’t help but laugh. That made me feel a little better, as did reading The Hounds of the Morrigan – the best book ever. Beth read it to me and Amy years ago, and I have the most vivid memories of listening to her mimic Irish brogue accents while I sat in front of the heater and played with plastic animal toys. That book is like eating mac n’ cheese or cuddling in a quilt by the Christmas tree: pure, unadulterated comfort.

In other news, when I stepped outside this morning, I realized that it had snowed overnight! I didn’t get to enjoy the half-inch or so of it, though, b/c I was sprinting to the subway after being called in to temp. Of course there wasn’t even a trace of it in Midtown, and by lunch, even the puddles had dried up. But tomorrow’s supposed to be frigid with a high wind warning. I got another warning today, from an Eastern European cleaning lady in the building. She told me to bundle up and buy a fur coat. “There’s nothing better!” she said. “The fur is glamorous and keeps you from shivering. Go buy one at a President’s Day sale. They think it is Spring, and so they give 50% off, and 20% on top of that. From how I’m talking you would think I am advertising, but I’m not!” She left with a wave goodbye, making all her gold jewelry jangle together. She was one snazzy cleaning lady, I tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home