Friday, February 16, 2007

I just got back from a walk in Central Park and am trying to defrost my toes. The cold all too easily crept up through the rubber soles of my galoshes and through two pairs of socks, leaving popsicles instead of feet. But it was worth it.



The park was absolutely gorgeous. The cold weather froze a layer of ice over all Wednesday's snow so my footsteps didn't even leave a mark on the white expanse covering everything but the most busy paths. I came around 4, when the sun was just above the buildings on the Upper West Side, so beautiful long shadows cut diagonally across the snow. I went to my favorite area up there where a creek runs through a mostly deserted area of the woods and even tumbles down a few Park Conservancy-made waterfalls.



I even brought out my latest stuffie for a little stroll. I finished him this afternoon while listening to Stephen King's "Cell" on CD that I got from the library. The book has been pretty entertaining so far, and I don't know how it couldn't be with its premise: Everyone using a cell phone at a given time became violent zombie-like people with a penchant for music.

My Stephen King audiobooks experiences haven't always been so good. A few years ago, Mom, Dad and I drove up to Wenatchee, Washington to kayak the Wenatchee River, which only runs once a year when they let water out of a nearby dam. As it was a 9-hour drive, we stopped at the Eugene Public Library on our way out of town. Mom and Dad sent me up to the second floor to get us something to listen to and the librarians warned me they were closing the building in 5 minutes. So I grabbed a book by the only author I recognized - I think it was called "Sarah Laughs."

We endured the long-winded story, read by the King of Horror, for hours. The plot was convoluted and the storytelling full of useless details and of course, true to Stephen King's MO, repitive descriptors and cliches. When we finally got to the last tape (Dad's old van, the Shempmobile, had a tape deck) we were relieved and ready to get the ending over with. When it stopped, though, we didn't feel any resolution in the story - and then discovered we were HALFWAY done with the tapes. There was a whole other stack of them we hadn't seen. Dad almost threw the whole package out the window into the Washington wilderness. We listened to Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan CDs the rest of the drive.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Wah! Didn't we have the same steven king audio massacre on the way to Las Vegas, when dad drove 15 hours straight without sleep? Or was that Dracula. Either way. Audio Book disaster.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home