Sunday, April 08, 2007

Last week I went to an orientation meeting for New York Cares, a volunteer organization in the city, and went to my first event today. I looked forward to it all week, as Eric can affirm. I got to play with KITTIES! And they called it volunteering! Hey!

I walked to the Manhattan Animal Care Center on 110th and 2nd Ave. A woman in her 60s, who adopted a cat from there, and I helped put fresh water and food into the kennels of about 40 cats waiting to find homes. But the best part was petting and cuddling with them! I of course had a few favorites - especially one tiger-striped male who was super soft and friendly. He climbed onto my shoulder and didn't want to go back in his cage. A ridiculously skinny striped cat was such a lover - he kept pushing his nose against my chin, giving me little kisses.

I left without adopting a cat, although I did seriously consider it. I just don't think I could hide a meowing cat from the landlords too long since they have to walk past our apartment to get to the office. But I did take home several pounds of cat hair on my sweatshirt and jeans.

Perhaps sometime I'll be brave enough to risk eviction and rescue a kitten. In the meantime, though, I can always scratch them behind the ears.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Grendel and Inkling are jealous that their god-catmother is playing with other kitties. Maybe if you always play with kitties, you can keep not shaving your legs and just blame it on cat hair!

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home